Sekula-Gibbs to fill DeLay unexpired term
(11/07/06 - HOUSTON) -- Republican Shelley Sekula-Gibbs has won the District 22 special election to fill the unexpired term of embattled former Congressman Tom DeLay.
DeLay quit the US House in June amid a fund-raising scandal. Sekula Gibbs will serve the remaining few weeks of DeLay's term -- into early 2007.
Separately, voters in District 22 are also deciding who'll serve the next full two-year congressional term in the Houston-area district, starting in January.
Democrat Nick Lampson was leading Sekula-Gibbs, who's the Republican write-in candidate for the full term.
Also running is Libertarian Bob Smither.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Church offering drive-through prayers 13 min ago
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
47 min ago