Sekula-Gibbs to fill DeLay unexpired term
(11/07/06 - HOUSTON) -- Republican Shelley Sekula-Gibbs has won the District 22 special election to fill the unexpired term of embattled former Congressman Tom DeLay.
DeLay quit the US House in June amid a fund-raising scandal. Sekula Gibbs will serve the remaining few weeks of DeLay's term -- into early 2007.
Separately, voters in District 22 are also deciding who'll serve the next full two-year congressional term in the Houston-area district, starting in January.
Democrat Nick Lampson was leading Sekula-Gibbs, who's the Republican write-in candidate for the full term.
Also running is Libertarian Bob Smither.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package 7 min ago
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen 19 min ago
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo