Sekula-Gibbs to fill DeLay unexpired term
(11/07/06 - HOUSTON) -- Republican Shelley Sekula-Gibbs has won the District 22 special election to fill the unexpired term of embattled former Congressman Tom DeLay.
DeLay quit the US House in June amid a fund-raising scandal. Sekula Gibbs will serve the remaining few weeks of DeLay's term -- into early 2007.
Separately, voters in District 22 are also deciding who'll serve the next full two-year congressional term in the Houston-area district, starting in January.
Democrat Nick Lampson was leading Sekula-Gibbs, who's the Republican write-in candidate for the full term.
Also running is Libertarian Bob Smither.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston