Candidate admits using doctored photos
FT. BEND COUNTY, TX (KTRK) (KTRK) -- A local congressional candidate used an unusual tactic to get voters to see him in a different light.
Dean Hrbacek admits the photo on his campaign flyer is fake. The picture has Hrbacek's head on the body of another man. So if the Republican candidate misrepresented himself physically, will voters be concerned he'll misrepresent himself politically?
At first glance, the campaign flyer sent by Hrbacek doesn't appear much different than most. That is, until you take a closer look. He admits the picture is actually of his head on someone else's body.
"We're quite amused by the notoriety they're receiving at this point," said Hrbacek.
Hrbacek admits, though, that his campaign made a mistake by allowing the flyers to be made and sent to thousands of voters.
"The buck stops with me," said Hrbacek. "We're going to take responsibility for our actions. Like most campaigns, we've made a mistake now."
Hrbacek wouldn't tell us why or how this happened.
"Did you know about that before the flyers were sent out?" we asked him.
"Kevin, whatever happens, the buck stops with me," Hrbacek answered.
"I think it's very deceptive when a candidate does that," said Robert Talton, who's also running for in the race for District 22.
There are nine other candidates vying for the Republican spot in the election for District 22, a seat now held by Democrat Nick Lampson, and a seat that once belonged to embattled Congressman Tom DeLay.
"The voters here in the 22nd District here in Texas will ultimately decide what's appropriate behavior and what is not," said Pete Olson, who's also running for the District 22 seat.
Though we asked Hrbacek repeatedly whether he thought tinkering with the picture is appropriate, he would say only that he now wants to focus on the real issues.
"Our focus needs to be slimming down the federal budget, needs to be transportation, needs to be transportation, needs to be economic development," said Hrbacek.
politics, kevin quinn
- Tornado Watch in effect across SE Texas 7 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 58 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 34 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 50 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston 48 min ago
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested 51 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 57 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- ISS spacewalk: What are they doing up there?
52 min ago