Full coverage of mayoral runoff debate
HOUSTON -- Both Gene Locke and Annise Parker want the top job in Houston and to do that, they need your vote. On Tuesday night, both candidates were at the Channel 13 studios and went one on one in our mayoral runoff debate before Election Day, December 12.
We broadcast the debate live on air and also online here on abc13.com. Did you miss any of it? Or maybe you want to again see the way the candidates answered certain questions. We have the whole debate below. Just click on the questions you'd like to hear answers to, and let us know who you think won in our comments section below.
- Opening statements from both candidates
- (To Annise Parker) How will you increase the number of officers on the street?
- (To Gene Locke) Would you keep current leadership at HPD?
- What will either of you do better than Bill White?
- (To Gene Locke) Are you comfortable with endorsement from groups against Annise Parker based on sexual orientation?
- (To Annise Parker) Would you consider furloughs to meet a budget shortfall?
- (To Gene Locke) Who have you been a lobbyist/lawyer for and how would you separate those interests?
- (To Annise Parker) How do you feel about the Harris County DA's policy on jail overcrowding?
- Why do you want to be mayor and what makes you a better choice than your opponent?
- (To Annise Parker) How would you work get a new jail built?
- What do you think is the primary challenge facing HISD schools?
- Can the city of Houston afford a soccer stadium and will tax money be used?
- What are you most proud of in our city?
- (To Annise Parker) Do you think the HPD academy has become obsolete?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the Bill White administration, and explain your score
- Where do you stand on the environment? Do you agree with Mayor White's policies?
- Give us some insight on ideas to develop business in Houston
- Gene Locke and Annise Parker got to ask questions of each other
- Both candidates had one minute for closing statements
annise parker, gene locke, politics
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 45 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow