Romney, Republican Party raise $40M in April
WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney and his party raised a combined $40.1 million in April.
The figures put the likely GOP nominee's fundraising haul closer to the $43.6 million that President Barack Obama and the Democratic Party raised last month. Romney's campaign pulled in about $12.5 million in March.
April's reports offer the first fundraising tallies of the general election. Romney began raising cash with the GOP last month.
The new fundraising totals don't include the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent by "super" political committees that can raise and spend unlimited sums of cash.
Both campaigns' detailed financial reports are due to the Federal Election Commission by midnight Sunday.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail