Ted Cruz to address Republican National Convention
AUSTIN, TX -- Texas U.S. Senate candidate Ted Cruz will be among the "headliners" addressing the Republican National Convention in Tampa.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus (ryens PREE'-bus) said Wednesday that the former state solicitor general will address the Aug. 27-30 convention along with four other conservative notables, including Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
Cruz is a tea party darling who upset Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst for the Republican nomination to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.
Dewhurst was backed by Gov. Rick Perry and much of the Texas GOP establishment but lost a July 31 runoff election to Cruz by 13 percentage points.
Cruz advances to the November election against Democratic former state Rep. Paul Sadler. Texas hasn't elected a Democrat to the U.S. Senate since Lloyd Bentsen in 1988.
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte 28 min ago
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed 41 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston 28 min ago
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio 38 min ago
- Juneteenth celebrations being held in Galveston, Houston 40 min ago
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: NFL player's home searched after killing
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos