Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee says she's cancer-free after being diagnosed last year with breast cancer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee announced Friday that she is now 'cancer free' after undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
In a statement, Jackson Lee says she was diagnosed last year and had been undergoing surgery, chemotherapy and radiation at the MD Anderson Cancer Center and St. Luke's Hospital.
"I look forward to having many more years to enjoy my family, friends and to serve our community and nation," Jackson Lee said. "Thank you for your concern and your support. This is just one more battle that I had to win and my strength is renewed. I especially want to thank my family for all of their support. I know my purpose -- it is to use this challenge as an inspiration for the work that God calls me to do."
The congresswoman is also an advocate and supporter of a group called Sisters Network Inc., an organization founded in Houston but has become a national organization of Affrican American breast cancer survivors. Its founder is Karen E. Jackson.
"She is a strong woman and she dealt with it in the way that she likes to deal with things," Karen Jackson said.
"She dealt with it head on?" we asked her.
"Absolutely head on," she replied.
In the statement, Jackson Lee also says she that earlier this year, she introduced legislation to support research for triple-negative breast cancer.
"I would like to take this opportunity to urge all women to learn about this disease and participate in preventative measures so that you can detect it early and increase your odds of survival. We can and will beat this disease," she said. "I join the many women, men, organizations and the healthcare community who are working to support all of those who continue to fight to survive cancer every day."
Jackson Lee is serving in her ninth term in the U.S. House of Representatives. She represents the 18th Congressional District in Houston.
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire 32 min ago
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 28 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 38 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Three Webster officers go before judge today
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom