After last minute preparations, officials ready for Election Day
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Voters heading to the polls today are voting for the president, but also representatives and state senators and local bonds, including a nearly two billion dollar bond proposal for HISD.
There are 776 polling locations setting up for today's election. Over the weekend, precinct judges picked up materials to set up their respective voting stations. That includes those e-slate voting machines.
Here is what to bring to the polling locations. Legally you can bring just your voter registration card and no other form of ID is required. If you don't have that, a utility bill showing your address, a driver's license, or passport are all good options. As long as you are a registered voter when you reach your polling place, they'll have a list with your name on it.
Here are some things you should not do. Do not pull out your cell phone when you are casting your ballot. Texas is one of the states that prohibits the use of all recording devices inside of polling places, and phones count. So no text messaging with your friends from the booth.
Every year people show up to the wrong polling place, remember early voting is different from the general election. You have to go to your designated polling location. Even if you have not moved, your polling place may have changed.
The Harris County Clerk's Office is busy processing early voting memory cards and mail-in ballot envelopes, but those won't be unsealed or tallied until later today.
Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart said, "They will not be tabulated. There is no tabulation, no actual counting the vote until literally within 15 or 30 minutes before 7pm. Everybody is locked into central count. No actual results come out until 7pm."
The polls opened at 7am. The county clerk's office says 450,000 people are expected to vote today.
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident 24 min ago
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- Make-A-Wish lets boy fly like Iron Man
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos