Officials adjust hours in Galveston County to accommodate voters later
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- A judge ordered polling locations in Galveston County to stay open almost two hours later than normal following a widespread voting snafu.
Many locations opened two hours late. Officials say the problem had to do in part with some elections workers not starting computer systems on time. Apparently each machine must complete a printing cycle of ballots before they can be used by voters. That led to some mammoth lines.
We talked to a number of people casting ballots just before closing Tuesday night during the extended hours who said they would not have been able to vote otherwise.
Voter Tami Sillivent said, "I'm a nanny. I have two kids. I didn't want to bring them in line for me to vote."
"I work until 6," said voter Ashley Gill. "I'm a working mom. I also go to school. I wasn't able to do the early voting, so it was very important that they stay open till 9."
The chair of the Galveston Democratic Party expressed concern that some voters might not find out about the extended hours and realize they could return to cast their ballots after leaving in frustration.
Elections administrators say all ballots cast after 7pm by law are considered provisional, meaning they will be separated into a special pile and counted separately, in case the delayed closure of polls is ever challenged. We're told that could mean the final numbers in some Galveston County races might not be known for days.
Tweet us your Election Day thoughts at @KTRKHouston, and follow us on Facebook for the latest election updates.
election day, galveston, politics, kevin quinn
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 33 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch 17 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend 57 min ago
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class