Perry sets special election for late Sen. Gallegos' seat
AUSTIN, TX -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry has set a Jan. 26 special election to fill the state Senate seat held by the late Sen. Mario Gallegos.
Gallegos, a Houston Democrat, died of liver disease on Oct. 16. It was too late to remove his name from the Nov. 6 general election ballot and he was posthumously elected to another term.
Candidates for the District 6 special election must file by Dec. 27. Early voting will run from Jan.9-22.
State Rep. Carol Alvarado, a Houston Democrat, has said she will run for the Senate seat.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 57 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 57 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 56 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer