Perry sets special election for late Sen. Gallegos' seat
AUSTIN, TX -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry has set a Jan. 26 special election to fill the state Senate seat held by the late Sen. Mario Gallegos.
Gallegos, a Houston Democrat, died of liver disease on Oct. 16. It was too late to remove his name from the Nov. 6 general election ballot and he was posthumously elected to another term.
Candidates for the District 6 special election must file by Dec. 27. Early voting will run from Jan.9-22.
State Rep. Carol Alvarado, a Houston Democrat, has said she will run for the Senate seat.
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods