White House: Anthony Foxx, mayor of Charlotte, N.C., to be nominated by President Obama as transportation secretary
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Monday will nominate Charlotte, N.C., Mayor Anthony Foxx as his new transportation secretary, a White House official said Sunday.
If confirmed by the Senate, Foxx would replace outgoing Secretary Ray LaHood.
Foxx is Obama's first black nominee among the new Cabinet members appointed for the second term. The president faced criticism early in his second term for a lack of diversity among his nominees.
The official insisted on anonymity to avoid public discussion of the pick before the official announcement.
The official noted that Foxx has led efforts to improve his city's transit infrastructure to expand economic opportunity for businesses and workers. During Foxx's term as mayor, Charlotte has broken ground on several important transportation projects, including the Charlotte Streetcar Project to bring modern electric tram service to the city as well as a third parallel runway at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport. The city has also moved to extend the LYNX light rail system to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the official said.
If confirmed by the Senate, Foxx would take over a department that has been at the center of Washington's debate over the impact of the so-called sequester cuts. The automatic cuts resulted in furloughs for air traffic controllers that helped cause delays at many airports.
Congress reached a deal last week to provide the Transportation Department flexibility that allowed it to end the air traffic controller furloughs.
Foxx, an attorney who has worked in several positions with the federal government, was first elected mayor in 2009. He raised his national profile last year when Charlotte played host to the Democratic Party's convention.
He also served as a member of the Charlotte City Council.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 34 min ago
- Suspects pose as officers while breaking into home 1 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet 38 min ago
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91 37 min ago
- Oklahahoma not likely to erect satanic monument
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos