Protesters face off at Capitol over abortion bill
AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) -- The fight has started again over the controversial abortion bill in Texas. Governor Rick Perry called for a second special session in Austin to deal with the proposal as well as transportation issues.
Pro-life in blue, pro-choice in orange; protestors from both sides filled the state Capitol on Monday. The legislature began a 30-day special session after a controversial abortion bill failed to pass last week due to loud protestors and a filibuster.
"As this session continues, we'll keep doubling and doubling and doubling. We will not be shut up," Sen. Sylvia Garcia said.
The abortion bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks and shut down most clinics in the state by requiring them to have surgical centers. Many in the Republican-controlled legislature say they will pass it.
Sen. Dan Patrick of Houston says he will do whatever it takes to stop a filibuster.
"We need to be methodical," he said. "We have the votes and we just need to do our work. The House has filed a bill, the Senate has filed a bill. Not sure which will move forward."
The full Senate and House met for less than an hour Monday and then adjourned until next week.
Until then, the bill will be making its way through committees.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
politics, pooja lodhia
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course