Preparations underway for Election Day in Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Hundreds of elections judges lined up Saturday to pick up their county-issued elections materials in preparation for Election Day on Tuesday.
"I was very short handed until last night. I went down to the lab and got a bunch of volunteers," said John Moffit, elections judge
With early voting breaking turnout records, they're not quite sure what to expect on election day itself, but they do know they'll need to be familiar with the state's new Voter ID law. For the first time this year, every voter at the polls has to show a photo ID that matches the name on voter rolls.
"That can be their driver's license, that can be their military ID, that can be their personal ID," Harris County Clerk Stan Stannert explained.
Elections judges received extensive training in how to handle the Voter ID law. So far in early voting, elections officials say there have been very few problems.
"We had one that was an out-of-state ID, two that didn't have any ID, and I guess four that were people whose IDs had long expired," Stannert said.
Those without proper ID can vote provisionally. As for the names matching, that will be up to the judges.
"We also have a manual. We've gone to training the county has sponsored, and I don't anticipate any problems at all," Steve Dorman, elections judge, said.
But some judges, like Moffit, are less optimistic.
"You might look at two names and say they're not substantially the same. I might look at look at two names and say they're substantially the same," Moffit said.
That's a variable he thinks could lead to some voters being turned away.
"I think there are going to be some wrinkles," Moffit said. "I think some people are going to get very angry."
Here are the forms of ID that will be accepted when you vote:
- Driver's License
- Election ID Certificate
- Personal ID Card
- Concealed Handgun License
- U.S. Military ID with photo
- U.S. Citizenship Certificate with photo
- U.S. Passport
Early voting ended Friday and Election Day is Tuesday. Find your voting location.
Click Here for a Sample Ballot
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
politics, simon gutierrez
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 2 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 26 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah