Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott formally registers his candidacy to be 48th Governor of Texas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott formally registered his candidacy to be the 48th Governor of Texas on Saturday.
Abbott filed at the Texas Republican Party headquarters in Austin on Saturday after participating in campaign rally.
Abbott is the most lushly financed candidate in the Republican field for governor that also includes former Texas party leader Tom Pauken. Abbott cites his efforts to fight government expansion as his campaign's centerpiece.
State Sen. Wendy Davis, a Democrat, also officially registered as a candidate on Saturday, as did tea party conservative Lisa Fritsch. They all seek to succeed Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who isn't seeking re-election.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 23 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 40 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 48 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 31 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- First the wind, then the cold 27 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 49 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
42 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
49 min ago