State Sen. Wendy Davis touts benefit of her education plan during Houston visit
HOUSTON -- State Sen. Wendy Davis, the presumptive Democratic nominee for Texas governor, was in town Wednesday morning to talk about education.
She visited the Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center in southwest Houston to tout her education plan, which she calls Great Start, Great Texas. And she unveiled a proposal to extend a state-funded pre-kindergarten program to a full day and to all eligible children.
"I will insure that every eligible Texas student has access to quality full day pre-K," Davis said. "In the 30 years since Texas created its current pre-K program, it's become one of the most popular and effective methods to establish a learning foundation for young students."
Wednesday's announcement was the third plank of Davis' education plan. She is also calling for her expected Republican opponent, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, to settle a lawsuit involving the way public schools are financed in the state.
Abbott was expected to be in Houston Wednesday night for a private fundraiser. His campaign issued a statement to Eyewitness News regarding Davis' education plan which reads:
"Sen. Wendy Davis' education proposals are mere talking points--not an actual plan that presents or explains how much her proposals will cost and how she plans to pay for them. The only thing definitive in Sen. Davis' fuzzy proposal is that it will add billions in new spending with unfunded promises."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
politics, tom abrahams
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 17 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places 33 min ago
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers 31 min ago
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to... 36 min ago
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged