Arkansas State receiver dismissed after arrest for theft
(7/27/07 - JONESBORO, AK) -- Arkansas State senior wide receiver Patrick Higgins, who caught a 53-yard game-winning pass last season against Memphis, has been dismissed from the team following his arrest on a theft charge.
Higgins, 23, was arrested Sunday for allegedly stealing a woman's purse while at a nightclub.
ASU coach Steve Roberts dismissed Higgins for violating team rules and conduct detrimental to the team.
"Obviously, this is a disappointing situation, but we feel the decision is in the best interest of our university and our football program," Roberts said. "We want to thank Patrick for his contributions to our football team and wish him the best in his future endeavors."
Jonesboro police Detective Mike Branscum said the theft was valued at slightly more than $500, but Higgins was charged with a misdemeanor instead of a felony.
Higgins entered a not guilty plea on Wednesday in Craighead County District Court. Trial is set for Aug. 8.
Higgins had seven catches for 215 yards and three touchdowns as a junior last season, including 53-yard bomb from quarterback Corey Leonard in the Indians 26-23 victory at Memphis. Higgins has 45 career receptions for 716 yards and six touchdowns.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- Homeowner questions handling of Christmas package
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo