Clemens' hardball offensive
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It would appear on Thursday Roger Clemens and his legal team were going on the offensive. Attorney Rusty Hardin certainly went high and tight on anyone who wants to accuse Roger of using steroids.
Hardin and Clemens have apparently been fueled by a U.S. District Court in Arizona's unsealing of a federal agent's affidavit, which had been alleged to contain damning statements by former major league pitcher Jason Grimlsey against Clemens and Andy Pettitte.
The affadavit was used to gain a search of Grimsley home, where he had been receiving shipments of performance enhancing drugs.
When the affadavit was first released, the names of players fingered by Grimsley were blacked out. Nevertheless, in October 2006, the Los Angeles Times published an article saying Grimsely had named Clemens and Pettitte among a number of players who had used steroids. In fact, Grimsley did not name Roger or Andy.
On Thursday, U.S. Magistrate Edward C. Voss, in unsealing the documents, charged the Times with "at best, an example of irresponsible reporting and at worst, facts reported were simply manufactured."
After learning Clemens had not been mentioned by Grimsley, attorney Rusty Hardin released the following statement:
"When this grossly inaccurate story broke in 2006, Roger said it was untrue and the Los Angeles Times chose not to believe him. As the record now proves, Roger was telling the truth then, just as he continues to tell the truth today. Roger Clemens did not take steroids and anybody who says he did, better look for a hell of a good lawyer."
That statements seems to contradict what Hardin was saying last week.
"There's nothing to be gained by a lawsuit. All that does is just simply take time, energy and not any serious resolution to the problem," Hardin said on Dec. 13.
After reading the statement, Eyewitness Sports asked Joe Householder in Hardin's office if this now means legal action is forthcoming. Householder would only say Rusty's statement stands.
sports, tim melton
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 28 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 25 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale 27 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Cookie milk shots to debut at SXSW 10 min ago
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos