Top soccer players to showcase skills at Reliant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Free Kick Masters comes to Reliant Stadium Saturday at 7pm. It's a skills competition similar to the 3-point shooting or slam dunk contests at the NBA's All-Star Weekend.
The world's top-rated free kickers face the world's best goalies. One of those goalies is American Kasey Keller, and while a lot of money's at stake this weekend, Keller knows what real pressure is all about.
The winning goalie on Saturday night gets a half-million dollars; the top free kicker $1 million.
"They have like 30-40 of those (kickers), there's only four or five of us. So our odds are a little bit better," goalie Kasey Keller said Wednesday.
And while Keller, who's been part of four World Cup teams, would love $500,000, he won't be overwhelmed by the moment. After all, in 1991, he was one of the first Americans to play in England. and his first team was Millwall.
"Millwall were the founders of hooliganism," Keller said.
In other words, the fans of Millwall tolerate nothing less than the best, especially from an American goalie. Keller was so good, he became a fan favorite. So the fans never came after him, but they did come to his defense.
"A fan was chasing that player around the field ... for my benefit, for my defense," he said.
Philadelphia sports fans are noted for being rough on local athletes, but Philly ain't Milwall.
"There's actually conflicts between the police on horeback fighting fans behind my goal as the games were going on. So, I've never seen that at a Philadelphia Eagles game, where the police are fighting fans on horseback while the game is still going on," Keller said.
Saturday night, the action will be on the pitch. Twenty-four players will be divided into six groups of four and the six goalies will be assigned a group. The best player and best goalie advance until winners are determined.
sports, tim melton
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 4 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 3 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center 21 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 37 min ago
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line 37 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 30 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case 45 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 47 min ago
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
2 min ago