Octopus oracle Paul to retire
BERLIN, Germany -- No more World Cup, no more octopus oracle.Paul, the octopus who became a pop culture sensation by correctly predicting the outcome of as many World Cup matches as he has legs -- all seven of Germany's games plus the Spain-Netherlands final -- is going to retire.
The intuitive invertebrate will "step back from the official oracle business," Tanja Munzig, a spokeswoman for the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen, told AP Television News.
"He won't give any more oracle predictions -- either in football, nor in politics, lifestyle or economy," she said. "Paul will get back to his former job, namely making children laugh."
However, Paul took one last curtain call on Monday. Aquarium employees presented the octopus with a golden cup -- similar to the official World Cup trophy.
Although the cup was garnished with three mussels, Paul ignored it for several minutes as it was lowered into his tank.
He finally picked off one mussel and devoured it in front of television cameras.
Paul won worldwide attention as he called all of Germany's games correctly -- including its semifinal defeat by Spain. He crowned his career by forecasting correctly that Spain would beat Holland in Sunday's final.
- Search in OK nears complettion; tornado was EF5
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 48 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Watching line of storms to our north
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium fraud case
- Menil Picasso vandal sentenced to 2 years
- Houston women take on fight to end sex trafficking 11 min ago
- Officials link College Station's E. coli cases to restaurant 47 min ago
- BBQ marinades that are friendly to your mouth, wallet 51 min ago
- Photos: Go back in time with these Bathing Beauties!
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos