It's MLS All-Star day in Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Thousands of fans are getting ready for a major matchup of soccer stars. Tonight, Houston will host the Major League Soccer All-Star game and it will bring a bit of a boost to the local economy.The magic will happen at Reliant as fans will pack this stadium this afternoon. The AT&T Major League Soccer All-Star Game is considered a first and big step in a future bid for Houston to host a World Cup.
But for today, the game is the centerpiece of the week, as an American team takes on one of the best and most fabled teams in Europe -- Manchester United. Manchester United is an 18-time English and three-time European champion.
It is their star power that is expected to be the driving force for filling Reliant Stadium as well as filling the pockets of local merchants, a crucial economic boost during the summer months.
The Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau is expecting at least 15,000 out of town fans to attend today, but more importantly, an out of town population that has spent their time and money in the Bayou City this week creating an estimated $10 million economic boost.
The game between MLS All Stars and Manchester United starts at 7:30pm tonight. You have to have a ticket to get in. However, there are several pre-game activities at Reliant that are open to the public. Those events start this afternoon at 3pm at Reliant Stadium near the Budweiser Plaza and will feature events for kids.
reliant stadium, mls, houston dynamo, sports, cynthia cisneros
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Runoff to determine new Montgomery County judge 26 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos