Pearland All-Stars fall 7-4 to Washington
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, PA -- Ikaika Nahaku had an RBI single before scoring on a wild play following a throwing error, and Isaiah Hatch struck out 12 in relief to lead Washington past Pearland, Texas, 7-4 Wednesday night at the Little League World Series.Auburn, Wash., avoided elimination for the third straight game and handed Texas its first loss of the tournament to set up a rematch Thursday with a berth in the U.S. final Saturday at stake. Chris Leger tried to make shoestring grab of Nahaku's blooper to left in the fourth, but the ball bounced off his glove for a hit, allowing a run to score. After the relay to third, the Texas third baseman's throw to second to try to get Nahaku sailed into the outfield, and Ryan Lacey and Nahaku raced home to give Washington a 5-4 lead. "I tried to get in a pickle from first to second so Ryan could score," Nahaku said. "I didn't think he was going to throw it because I was almost at the bag." Lacey said he wasn't nervous with Washington avoiding its second loss a third straight game, but manager Kai Nahaku quickly interjected, "Not me." "Living on the edge," the skipper said. Texas manager Mike Orlando said it had been a while since his team had almost as many errors (three) as hits (four). "I don't think I'll have to say a word about what is at stake," Orlando said about Thursday's rematch. "We have been in this position before. We just need to swing at better pitches and play better defense."
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course