McLane: Houston Astros officially up for sale
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Owner Drayton McLane held a press conference Friday afternoon to officially put the Houston Astros up for sale.
This is not the first time he's considered selling the team. McLane has owned the Astros since 1992. The team could reportedly sell for as much as $800 million.
McLane said he, his wife Elizabeth and his family will continue to run the organization as they have been doing, including spending $12 million to install the second largest scoreboard in Major League Baseball."In 18 years, there are only six owners with more seniority than we have," McLane said. "Baseball has been a wonderful experience for us. It's been an important part of our lives." However, he added that due to being one of the very few franchises in MLB with only one family as the owners, he was trying to move forward with estate planning. He also discussed some of his favorite moments during his ownership including the community programs, construction of Minute Maid Park, hosting the 2004 All Star Game, and the team's first World Series appearance in 2005. McLane said he believes General Manager Ed Wade and Manager Brad Mills have put together a foundation of a good young team moving forward, and that the team has made improvements in its minor league system. In addition, he brought up the fact that the Astros are creating a new regional sports network in partnership with the Houston Rockets and Comcast that launches in October 2012. We'll have a full report on Eyewitness News at 6pm.
houston astros, mlb, sports
- Child at center of Amber Alert found safe 31 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl
- Burglars pose as construction workers during jewelry heist 14 min ago
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- Jodi Arias jury deadlocked but must continue 44 min ago
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- What's the farthest point from the Earth's center? 46 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in fatal shooting in southeast Houston
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone