Texans' Wade Phillips pulls out of head coach interview for Tampa Bay Buccaneers
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will not be interviewing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach position.
On Monday, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said that Phillips was going to meet with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday to discuss their head coaching position. The Bucs fired Raheem Morris a week ago when they finished the season 4-12.
Phillips' interview was scheduled for Friday here in Houston, but hours before that interview, he said he loves being a Texan and wants to be here. He also said he didn't want all of it to be a distraction.
No other details were immediately available.
It's no secret that Phillips is one of the top defensive coaches in the league. He's taken the Texans from 30th in defense to second in one season. He has an overall winning record as a head coach with stops in Buffalo, San Diego, Dallas and as an interim head coach in New Orleans and Aatlanta.
The 64-year-old is still recovering from kidney and gall bladder surgery in mid-December, but still thinks he should be considered for a top NFL job. His record as a head coach is 82-59.
Now that the Texans have their first ever playoff win under their belts, they know the challenge ahead. A trip to Baltimore is up next for a rematch against the Ravens. Ray Lewis and company beat the Texans 29-14 on October 16. It was a game that Texans led 14-13 in the third quarter before the offense went silent. The Texans defense just got worn out down the stretch with the Ravens getting a fourth quarter touchdown and two field goals to win.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for the latest details.
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar 37 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 11 min ago
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver 39 min ago
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects 57 min ago
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game