ABC13's Bob Allen to leave KTRK by end of year
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- On Tuesday night, ABC13 Sports Director Bob Allen announced his plans to leave KTRK at the end of the year. Below is a note he wrote to all of you:
It's with mixed emotions that I'm letting you know that I'll be leaving Channel 13 at the end of this year.
It's something I've thought about for a while and those close to me know that I've been kicking it around for a few years. I am not -- repeat -- am not retiring; it's just that after 38 and a half years of sharing Houston's sports news with all of you at this station, and over 40 years of covering Houston sports, I want to do some other things while I can.
I've got a lot of stories to tell from over the years and that's one of the things I really want to do. I enjoy public speaking, talking sports and about life. I want to do some writing and am in the process of putting my thoughts together for a book. I've had some discussions about working with the radio TV department at my alma mater of Stephen F. Austin.
I still want do to television, but maybe just a different form from what I've done here.
I really do want to spend more time with my family, this TV station, and all of you out there have been part of my family most of my life and I've gotten to share Houston's triumphs and disappointments with you. But now I'm really excited about trying some new things and seeing more of you on a one to one basis down the road.
But I'll be here till the end of the year and hopefully have some more winners to talk about one more time.
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 28 min ago
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 44 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds 26 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 48 min ago
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 47 min ago
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle