ABC13's Bob Allen to leave KTRK by end of year
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- On Tuesday night, ABC13 Sports Director Bob Allen announced his plans to leave KTRK at the end of the year. Below is a note he wrote to all of you:
It's with mixed emotions that I'm letting you know that I'll be leaving Channel 13 at the end of this year.
It's something I've thought about for a while and those close to me know that I've been kicking it around for a few years. I am not -- repeat -- am not retiring; it's just that after 38 and a half years of sharing Houston's sports news with all of you at this station, and over 40 years of covering Houston sports, I want to do some other things while I can.
I've got a lot of stories to tell from over the years and that's one of the things I really want to do. I enjoy public speaking, talking sports and about life. I want to do some writing and am in the process of putting my thoughts together for a book. I've had some discussions about working with the radio TV department at my alma mater of Stephen F. Austin.
I still want do to television, but maybe just a different form from what I've done here.
I really do want to spend more time with my family, this TV station, and all of you out there have been part of my family most of my life and I've gotten to share Houston's triumphs and disappointments with you. But now I'm really excited about trying some new things and seeing more of you on a one to one basis down the road.
But I'll be here till the end of the year and hopefully have some more winners to talk about one more time.
- Frustration mounts for church members 16 min ago
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co. 1 min ago
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- Lady Gaga addresses difficulties in SXSW keynote 7 min ago
- Rare early map of Texas offered at auction 15 min ago
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant 28 min ago
- San Diego Zoo performs rare C-section on gorilla 37 min ago