Dynamo's Tyler Deric accused of assault
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Dynamo goalie Tyler Deric has been charged with assault in an alleged scuffle with an off-duty officer working security at a Houston bar.
A team statement Tuesday says the organization is aware of Saturday night's incident and the issue is being taken seriously.
Deric has been charged with assaulting a public servant. Police say an officer was punched.
Deric was freed Sunday on $5,000 bail.
Defense attorney Allen Tanner says his client is innocent and that Deric says African-American players who were with him were denied entrance to the bar. Deric is white.
Officials with the Roosevelt Bar denied the allegations and say the individuals were intoxicated.
A second-round draft pick from Central Florida, Warren Creavalle, was charged with misdemeanor interfering with public duties. Creavalle was freed on $500 bail.
The team issued a statement which read, "The Houston Dynamo organization is aware of the recent matter involving Tyler Deric. We take these issues extremely seriously. This is an ongoing legal matter, so we will reserve further comment at this time. We will continue to monitor the developments closely."
Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
houston dynamo, mls, sports
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Police chase emu down I-35 near Austin
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak