Lamar takes on Vermont for right to play UNC
RALEIGH, NC -- North Carolina has earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
The Tar Heels (29-5) won't have to leave their home state as they begin pushing for a third national championship in eight years. They'll begin play in the Midwest Region against the Lamar-Vermont winner on Friday in Greensboro, about an hour west of the Chapel Hill campus.
North Carolina was the preseason No. 1 and won the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season title. But the Tar Heels played most of the ACC tournament without top defender John Henson due to a wrist injury and lost to Florida State in Sunday's final.
Two losses this year came to the Seminoles. They also lost by a point to Duke and Kentucky on games that came down to the final possession.
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant 37 min ago
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 24 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man 6 min ago
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school