Lamar takes on Vermont for right to play UNC
RALEIGH, NC -- North Carolina has earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
The Tar Heels (29-5) won't have to leave their home state as they begin pushing for a third national championship in eight years. They'll begin play in the Midwest Region against the Lamar-Vermont winner on Friday in Greensboro, about an hour west of the Chapel Hill campus.
North Carolina was the preseason No. 1 and won the Atlantic Coast Conference regular-season title. But the Tar Heels played most of the ACC tournament without top defender John Henson due to a wrist injury and lost to Florida State in Sunday's final.
Two losses this year came to the Seminoles. They also lost by a point to Duke and Kentucky on games that came down to the final possession.
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- Video: Vatican city prepares for canonization 51 min ago
- Video: Hero helps Skeeters open the season 52 min ago
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Family's pet donkey shot 18 times, killed 40 min ago
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Convict who escaped TX prison returns from Mexico
- Child dies in rollover wreck along Gulf Freeway
- Car becomes lodged under box truck in SW Houston wreck
- Court filing: Tugboat in ship channel spill was speeding
- More space, shops coming to The Galleria