Houston Texans Cheerleader tryouts continue
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Hundreds of candidates tried out to become a Houston Texans Cheerleader on Saturday, and there's yet another round of tryouts today.
Nearly 1,000 ladies and one man strutted their stuff in hopes of landing one of 35 spots on the 2012 Houston Texans Cheerleader squad.
Although the guy was a loner on the field, Dixon Hernandez said he didn't hold anything back during tryouts. He told us he decided to give it a try to pave the way for other men wanting to be on the team.
"So I was like, 'why not try out, and just go for it and have some fun?' I'm here to have fun, and for the experience and, you know, just to see what it's all about," Hernandez said. "Who wouldn't want to be a Texans Cheerleader?"
He said that if he doesn't make the squad this time, he plans on trying out again next year.
This is the most candidates since nearly 2,000 women tried out for the inaugural squad.
"I feel like year one when we had all those girls," coordinator Alto Gary said. "We had a great season last year. I expect to even be better. Of course, they're the smart ones. They want to come join the winners."
The final squad will be announced May 1.
houston texans, reliant stadium, nfl, sports
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Stacy Keibler marries boyfriend in Mexico 17 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038