Houston Dynamo hold ribbon-cutting ceremony for new stadium
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern University Tuesday christened their new home stadium.
This ribbon cutting officially opened BBVA Compass Stadium near downtown Houston. The new stadium will host its first sporting event May 12 when the Dynamo host DC United. The Dynamo hope the stadium will help promote the growing popularity of soccer in this country.
"It is on a fast track in the United States. And to have a wonderful stadium like this to help it grow is truly critical and there are so many people that were involved and there are so many people to thank and it's gonna be spectacular," said Chris Canetti, Dynamo President Of Business Operations.
The dignitaries who did the ribbon cutting also kicked the symbolic first goals at the stadium.
The 22,0000-seat venue will also hold international soccer matches as well as concerts and TSU football games.
bbva compass stadium, houston dynamo, texas southern university, mls, ncaa, sports
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping baby
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.
- Ford to offer 50th anniversary Mustang
- The best and worst jobs for 2014