Houston Dynamo hold ribbon-cutting ceremony for new stadium
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern University Tuesday christened their new home stadium.
This ribbon cutting officially opened BBVA Compass Stadium near downtown Houston. The new stadium will host its first sporting event May 12 when the Dynamo host DC United. The Dynamo hope the stadium will help promote the growing popularity of soccer in this country.
"It is on a fast track in the United States. And to have a wonderful stadium like this to help it grow is truly critical and there are so many people that were involved and there are so many people to thank and it's gonna be spectacular," said Chris Canetti, Dynamo President Of Business Operations.
The dignitaries who did the ribbon cutting also kicked the symbolic first goals at the stadium.
The 22,0000-seat venue will also hold international soccer matches as well as concerts and TSU football games.
bbva compass stadium, houston dynamo, texas southern university, mls, ncaa, sports
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast 2 min ago
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game 11 min ago
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin inks extension
- Two Texas veterans, both age 107, meet for 1st time 14 min ago
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Three Webster officers indicted for official oppression