Houston Dynamo hold ribbon-cutting ceremony for new stadium
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern University Tuesday christened their new home stadium.
This ribbon cutting officially opened BBVA Compass Stadium near downtown Houston. The new stadium will host its first sporting event May 12 when the Dynamo host DC United. The Dynamo hope the stadium will help promote the growing popularity of soccer in this country.
"It is on a fast track in the United States. And to have a wonderful stadium like this to help it grow is truly critical and there are so many people that were involved and there are so many people to thank and it's gonna be spectacular," said Chris Canetti, Dynamo President Of Business Operations.
The dignitaries who did the ribbon cutting also kicked the symbolic first goals at the stadium.
The 22,0000-seat venue will also hold international soccer matches as well as concerts and TSU football games.
bbva compass stadium, houston dynamo, texas southern university, mls, ncaa, sports
- One dead after police chase comes to end
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty County
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- 7 charged over suspected chop shop
- METRORail downtown closed for Memorial Day weekend
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: New 'Man of Steel' trailer
- abcnews: SI model to attend prom with teen
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos