US tops Russia, China in women's gym qualifying
LONDON, England -- The challengers came and went, and the Americans are still on top in gymnastics qualifying.
The U.S. women, heavy favorites for the Olympic gold medal, scored 181.863 points early Sunday afternoon, then waited to see if Russia, Romania or China could match it.
Not even close.
Russia, runner-up to the Americans at last year's world championships, was 1.4 points back with a score of 180.429. Beijing Olympics champion China was third (176.637), followed by European champion Romania (176.264) and Britain (170.656). Japan, Italy and Canada rounded out the top eight.
The team final is Tuesday night.
While the Americans were on top, world champion Jordyn Wieber was not. In the biggest shocker of the day, the gold medal favorite failed to qualify for the all-around final after finishing behind U.S. teammates Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas.
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 6 min ago
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Massive fire breaks out at NE Harris Co. home 35 min ago
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- McDonald's employee injured during attempted robbery
- Free Stuff Friday: Holiday happenings this weekend
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Coloring book featuring Ted Cruz selling fast
- Multiple people stabbed after Denver football game
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class