US tops Russia, China in women's gym qualifying
LONDON, England -- The challengers came and went, and the Americans are still on top in gymnastics qualifying.
The U.S. women, heavy favorites for the Olympic gold medal, scored 181.863 points early Sunday afternoon, then waited to see if Russia, Romania or China could match it.
Not even close.
Russia, runner-up to the Americans at last year's world championships, was 1.4 points back with a score of 180.429. Beijing Olympics champion China was third (176.637), followed by European champion Romania (176.264) and Britain (170.656). Japan, Italy and Canada rounded out the top eight.
The team final is Tuesday night.
While the Americans were on top, world champion Jordyn Wieber was not. In the biggest shocker of the day, the gold medal favorite failed to qualify for the all-around final after finishing behind U.S. teammates Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas.
- Drug agents: 'Unfit for human consumption' 32 min ago
- Man fatally shot while driving in SW Houston
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Women behind aggravated robbery caught on video 14 min ago
- Suspected molester to cops: 'I need help' 34 min ago
- 'Pastor' indicted in real estate investment scam 28 min ago
- Cocaine, cash found in abandoned chase suspect's car
- Vendor fired, took snow cones into bathroom
- Burglars break in through roof of Walgreen's store
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets burgers for life
- otrc: New 'Man of Steel' trailer 8 min ago
- abcnews: SI model to attend prom with teen 10 min ago
- Tornado storm shelter survival story
38 min ago
- GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
11 min ago