Which Olympian gets gold for online popularity?
NEW YORK -- Gabby Douglas is golden when it comes to online popularity, too.
The gymnastics gold medalist is the most clicked-upon athlete on NBC's Olympics website, the network said. Through Sunday, her profile on the site had more than 18 million page views. That's far above the second-ranked athlete, swimmer Michael Phelps, whose profile had just over 7 million page views.
Four of the five most clicked-upon athletes were female gymnasts, NBC said. The Olympics event with the most live streams through was the gold-medal-winning performance of the female gymnasts, with 1.46 million streams, followed by Usain Bolt's sprint for gold.
The NBC Olympics website has surpassed 1 billion page views, doing it in about half the time it took to reach that milestone in Beijing four years ago, the network said.
Another study, from the Pew Research Center for People & the Press, found that 73 percent of Americans said they had watched at least some of the Olympics on television. That falls in line with NBC's ratings, which have been strong throughout the games. Pew also found that 17 percent of its respondents had watched some of the coverage online, and 12 percent were following the results through social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
Three-quarters of those polled by Pew rated NBC's coverage as good or excellent. Pew researchers interviewed 1,005 adults randomly selected by phone Aug. 2-5.
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver 16 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla 35 min ago
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Suspect dead, victim injured during shootout
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos