Keenum, Grimes among Texans cuts
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Texans finished off the preseason with a big win and now it's time to get ready for the games that count.
The time for making a good impression is over as the team puts its finishing touches on the lineup.
There were no real big surprises Friday, as the Texans work toward getting down to the 53-man limit. They do work a trade with the Bears for fullback Tyler Clutts. He'll back up James Casey, which meant veteran fullback Moran Norris, the 12-year veteran and Madison graduate was part of Friday's cuts.
Also waived was running back Jonathan Grimes and former University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum. Keenum will probably be signed to the Texans practice squad. Making the team was backup quarterback John Beck. He played well Thursday night.
"I think John had a good camp. I think last night, he played exceptional," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak. "He gives us some security there. He knows our system. Obviously, we think a lot of Case and we're going to put a practice squad together and he's got great consideration from that standpoint, so we're going to make sure we have enough people in our system moving forward so we don't get caught like we did last year, having to scramble in such a tough time."
Kick returner Trindon Holliday, who took back another for a touchdown Thursday night, made the squad.
Also cut on Friday were cornerback Eddie Pleasant, tight end Phillip Supernaw, tight end Logan Brock, receiver Jeff Maehl, receiver Juaquin Iglesias, center Cody Wallace, defensive end Mitch King, outside linebacker D.J. Bryant, outside linebacker Delano Johnson, nose tackle Hebron Fangupo, linebacker Shawn Loiseau, outside linebacker Keith Browner and defensive end David Hunter.
Offensive tackle Rashad Butler tore a tricep muscle Thursday night, the same injury he had last year. He'll be placed on the injured reserved.
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure 36 min ago
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 13 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live chat about blood donations
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co.
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home