Keenum, Grimes among Texans cuts
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Texans finished off the preseason with a big win and now it's time to get ready for the games that count.
The time for making a good impression is over as the team puts its finishing touches on the lineup.
There were no real big surprises Friday, as the Texans work toward getting down to the 53-man limit. They do work a trade with the Bears for fullback Tyler Clutts. He'll back up James Casey, which meant veteran fullback Moran Norris, the 12-year veteran and Madison graduate was part of Friday's cuts.
Also waived was running back Jonathan Grimes and former University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum. Keenum will probably be signed to the Texans practice squad. Making the team was backup quarterback John Beck. He played well Thursday night.
"I think John had a good camp. I think last night, he played exceptional," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak. "He gives us some security there. He knows our system. Obviously, we think a lot of Case and we're going to put a practice squad together and he's got great consideration from that standpoint, so we're going to make sure we have enough people in our system moving forward so we don't get caught like we did last year, having to scramble in such a tough time."
Kick returner Trindon Holliday, who took back another for a touchdown Thursday night, made the squad.
Also cut on Friday were cornerback Eddie Pleasant, tight end Phillip Supernaw, tight end Logan Brock, receiver Jeff Maehl, receiver Juaquin Iglesias, center Cody Wallace, defensive end Mitch King, outside linebacker D.J. Bryant, outside linebacker Delano Johnson, nose tackle Hebron Fangupo, linebacker Shawn Loiseau, outside linebacker Keith Browner and defensive end David Hunter.
Offensive tackle Rashad Butler tore a tricep muscle Thursday night, the same injury he had last year. He'll be placed on the injured reserved.
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes 57 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- More Houstonians using METRO system 51 min ago
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Miley fan sneaked into Omaha dressing room 56 min ago
- 'Burger King baby' now seeks birth mom on Facebook