Olympic medalist Marlen Esparza honored in Pasadena
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Olympic bronze medalist Marlen Esparza was honored yesterday in a celebration outside City Hall in Pasadena.
Esparza won a bronze medal in boxing in London. Yesterday, her hometown honored her with the keys to the city. Esparza choked up while speaking to the crowd and even apologized for her performance.
"I hope that everybody who watched me and followed me is proud. I did everything that I could do. I know it's not a gold medal. I know it's a bronze, but I tried really hard," she said.
Esparza does plan to try for a gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics, but right now she is focusing on school and starting a clothing line.
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant