Olympic medalist Marlen Esparza honored in Pasadena
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Olympic bronze medalist Marlen Esparza was honored yesterday in a celebration outside City Hall in Pasadena.
Esparza won a bronze medal in boxing in London. Yesterday, her hometown honored her with the keys to the city. Esparza choked up while speaking to the crowd and even apologized for her performance.
"I hope that everybody who watched me and followed me is proud. I did everything that I could do. I know it's not a gold medal. I know it's a bronze, but I tried really hard," she said.
Esparza does plan to try for a gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics, but right now she is focusing on school and starting a clothing line.
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- Chase suspect crashes into tree in NW Houston 6 min ago
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- Mystery illness kills 4 in Montgomery County
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 10 min ago
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- Delivery man hides presents in trash...on trash day 3 min ago
- Man victimized in 'knockout game' style attack
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier 46 min ago
- Ashby High Rise opponents dealt winning hand
- Man tries to trade gator for beer
- Half-ton chocolate Santa on display at Hilton Americas
- Guide dog saves blind man who fell on subway tracks 24 min ago
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
20 min ago