Loss aside, TSU fills new stadium with team spirit
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It was a big night for Texas Southern University. The football team debuted in its new home, transforming BBVA Compass Stadium into "Tigers Stadium" for the first time. They lost to Jackson State 45-35, but fans were excited nonetheless.
It was pouring Saturday evening ahead of the game, but the band was still jamming and the fans were still dancing.
"It's a very historic day, playing in the BBVA stadium," TSU fan Vincent Watkins said.
"It's been a long time coming -- about a four and a half year process," said Charles McClelland, TSU's athletic director. "We've been a transient program for quite some time, and to be able to open this stadium in such grand fashion -- the exuberance is overflowing."
For the past four and a half years, the TSU Tigers have been playing at local high schools and other stadiums.
The historic game brought school spirit everywhere you looked, from the vendors to the students and alumni.
"It's all about school spirit, and we're hoping to win the conference again," TSU alumnus Eleanor Forbes said.
But everybody knows you don't go to a TSU game just for the football. TSU's Ocean of Soul marching band rocked the crowd at halftime.
"I love the band," student Jazmine Robinson said. "I'm always dancing."
And the team didn't disappoint. They scored a touchdown just minutes into the game.
The Tigers were up 21-14 at the half, but their lead turned into a back-and-forth battle late in the game with TSU scoring 14 points within a minute at one point, only to fall back again.
TSU ended up falling to Jackson State 45-35.
TSU has two more games this month at BBVA Compass Stadium. They are playing Alabama A&M next Saturday and Sam Houston State University on September 27.
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents dead after altercation 20 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees 4 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash