NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell visits Houston, talks Super Bowl bid
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston had a high-profile visitor Tuesday as the man in charge of the NFL, Commissioner Roger Goodell, was in town, presenting the perfect opportunity to talk about Houston's chances of getting a Super Bowl in 2017.
Goodell was in town for a question-and-answer session with the Greater Houston Partnership. One of the first questions asked of the commissioner was will Houston be awarded the Super Bowl LI for 2017 when the owners vote next May? But he doesn't really have a vote, it's up to the owners.
There is a 50-50 chance for the Bayou City, as Houston will go up against either San Francisco or Miami, whichever one those two cities loses out for the Super Bowl in 2016. Commissioner Goodell said Houston did a great job back in 2004, but it's all about the facilities and hospitality.
Reliant Stadium will be 15 years old in 2017 and plans for improvements are already in motion. A new digital scoreboard could be installed in time for next season. And the question of what to do with the Astrodome is always there.
"The stadium is critical to any Super Bowl bid. That's our stage, as I like to refer to it. It's where our fans are going to come and enjoy the Super Bowl event, and it's important to have a great facility," said Goodell. "And I think that anything that Miami does or you do to make sure that you have the best possibly facility, that's a big plus."
"We need to come to a conclusion as to what's going to be done with the Astrodome. It's not a pretty sight sitting there now, and it's noticeable and people comment on it. So we need to make those decisions and move on," said Texans owner Bob McNair.
He says having a plan in place for the Astrodome will be important for Houston's Super Bowl bid.
Goodell added that the NFL is always looking at ways to grow the game, to make the game day experience better through technology and the safety of the players is always an issue.
reliant stadium, nfl, sports, bob slovak
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy 48 min ago
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal 53 min ago
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy 37 min ago
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Child left sleeping on Pasadena ISD school bus
- Driver ends up in San Antonio swimming pool
- Newborn tips scales at 14.5 pounds
- Cabbies compete for ride business
5 min ago
- What should you know about ride sharing
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos