NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell visits Houston, talks Super Bowl bid
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston had a high-profile visitor Tuesday as the man in charge of the NFL, Commissioner Roger Goodell, was in town, presenting the perfect opportunity to talk about Houston's chances of getting a Super Bowl in 2017.
Goodell was in town for a question-and-answer session with the Greater Houston Partnership. One of the first questions asked of the commissioner was will Houston be awarded the Super Bowl LI for 2017 when the owners vote next May? But he doesn't really have a vote, it's up to the owners.
There is a 50-50 chance for the Bayou City, as Houston will go up against either San Francisco or Miami, whichever one those two cities loses out for the Super Bowl in 2016. Commissioner Goodell said Houston did a great job back in 2004, but it's all about the facilities and hospitality.
Reliant Stadium will be 15 years old in 2017 and plans for improvements are already in motion. A new digital scoreboard could be installed in time for next season. And the question of what to do with the Astrodome is always there.
"The stadium is critical to any Super Bowl bid. That's our stage, as I like to refer to it. It's where our fans are going to come and enjoy the Super Bowl event, and it's important to have a great facility," said Goodell. "And I think that anything that Miami does or you do to make sure that you have the best possibly facility, that's a big plus."
"We need to come to a conclusion as to what's going to be done with the Astrodome. It's not a pretty sight sitting there now, and it's noticeable and people comment on it. So we need to make those decisions and move on," said Texans owner Bob McNair.
He says having a plan in place for the Astrodome will be important for Houston's Super Bowl bid.
Goodell added that the NFL is always looking at ways to grow the game, to make the game day experience better through technology and the safety of the players is always an issue.
reliant stadium, nfl, sports, bob slovak
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 56 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change 33 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash 37 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records