UH jumps out to big lead, holds on to top UTEP
HOUSTON -- Charles Sims rushed for 119 yards and three touchdowns as Houston defeated UTEP 45-35 Saturday.
Sims scored on runs of 43, 6 and 1 yards as the Cougars (4-4, 3-1 Conference USA) built a 45-7 lead before UTEP (2-7, 1-4) scored the final 28 points of the game.
David Piland added 174 yards passing and two TDs while completing 16 of 30 passes for Houston.
UTEP (2-7, 1-4) got 137 yards rushing and two TDs from Nathan Jeffery. The Miners used four quarterbacks after starter Nick Lamaison went 8 for 18 with four interceptions -- one a 97-yard return by Houston's D.J. Hayden for a score. UTEP also lost two fumbles and was sacked five times.
As a team, the Miners threw for 301 yards and three touchdowns while piling up 494 yards of offense -- most of it coming after the game had already been decided.
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?