UH jumps out to big lead, holds on to top UTEP
HOUSTON -- Charles Sims rushed for 119 yards and three touchdowns as Houston defeated UTEP 45-35 Saturday.
Sims scored on runs of 43, 6 and 1 yards as the Cougars (4-4, 3-1 Conference USA) built a 45-7 lead before UTEP (2-7, 1-4) scored the final 28 points of the game.
David Piland added 174 yards passing and two TDs while completing 16 of 30 passes for Houston.
UTEP (2-7, 1-4) got 137 yards rushing and two TDs from Nathan Jeffery. The Miners used four quarterbacks after starter Nick Lamaison went 8 for 18 with four interceptions -- one a 97-yard return by Houston's D.J. Hayden for a score. UTEP also lost two fumbles and was sacked five times.
As a team, the Miners threw for 301 yards and three touchdowns while piling up 494 yards of offense -- most of it coming after the game had already been decided.
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 13 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 8 min ago
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged 1 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 3 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
1 min ago