UH jumps out to big lead, holds on to top UTEP
HOUSTON -- Charles Sims rushed for 119 yards and three touchdowns as Houston defeated UTEP 45-35 Saturday.
Sims scored on runs of 43, 6 and 1 yards as the Cougars (4-4, 3-1 Conference USA) built a 45-7 lead before UTEP (2-7, 1-4) scored the final 28 points of the game.
David Piland added 174 yards passing and two TDs while completing 16 of 30 passes for Houston.
UTEP (2-7, 1-4) got 137 yards rushing and two TDs from Nathan Jeffery. The Miners used four quarterbacks after starter Nick Lamaison went 8 for 18 with four interceptions -- one a 97-yard return by Houston's D.J. Hayden for a score. UTEP also lost two fumbles and was sacked five times.
As a team, the Miners threw for 301 yards and three touchdowns while piling up 494 yards of offense -- most of it coming after the game had already been decided.
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Coach accused of tattooing a minor 50 min ago
- 200lb generator stolen from man's driveway
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- 2 teens arrested for Sienna Plantation vandalism 6 min ago
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Miley Cyrus is MTV's artist of the year
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak