Peterson paces Rice to rout of Southern Miss
HOUSTON -- Turner Peterson rushed for 136 yards and scored two touchdowns, helping Rice defeat Southern Miss 44-17 on Saturday.
Peterson caught a 38-yard touchdown pass from Driphus Jackson in the second quarter and capped the scoring with an 8-yard TD run with 3:37 left in the game for the Owls (3-6, 1-4 Conference USA).
Jackson completed 4 of 6 passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns in relief of starter Taylor McHargue, who took a hit on his injured shoulder in the second quarter and did not return.
Southern Miss (0-8, 0-4) turned the ball over five times and remained winless this season despite gaining more yards -- 372 to 370 -- than the Owls. Tracy Lampley had four receptions for 101 yards for the Golden Eagles.
One of Southern Miss' turnovers was a 75-yard interception return by Rice's Paul Porras that gave the Owls a 31-10 lead in the third quarter.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 25 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 26 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 48 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin 13 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale