Peterson paces Rice to rout of Southern Miss
HOUSTON -- Turner Peterson rushed for 136 yards and scored two touchdowns, helping Rice defeat Southern Miss 44-17 on Saturday.
Peterson caught a 38-yard touchdown pass from Driphus Jackson in the second quarter and capped the scoring with an 8-yard TD run with 3:37 left in the game for the Owls (3-6, 1-4 Conference USA).
Jackson completed 4 of 6 passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns in relief of starter Taylor McHargue, who took a hit on his injured shoulder in the second quarter and did not return.
Southern Miss (0-8, 0-4) turned the ball over five times and remained winless this season despite gaining more yards -- 372 to 370 -- than the Owls. Tracy Lampley had four receptions for 101 yards for the Golden Eagles.
One of Southern Miss' turnovers was a 75-yard interception return by Rice's Paul Porras that gave the Owls a 31-10 lead in the third quarter.
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston 33 min ago
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 57 min ago
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role 17 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus 49 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
2 min ago
- Students prep for national robotics...
53 min ago