Coogs come up short against East Carolina
GREENVILLE, NC -- Shane Carden threw for 305 yards and four touchdowns to lead East Carolina to a 48-28 victory over Houston on Saturday afternoon.
Vintavious Cooper rushed for 140 yards and a touchdown for the Pirates (6-4, 5-1 Conference USA), who posted their highest point total this season.
The victory makes East Carolina bowl-eligible for the sixth time in the past seven seasons.
Carden's 31 completions and 43 passes are both career highs. He has thrown 16 TD passes against seven interceptions this season. Danny Webster caught six of Carden's passes, three of them for TDs.
The Pirates outgained the Cougars (4-5, 3-2) 245 to 28 yards rushing, which contributed to their nearly 30-minute advantage in time of possession. Houston ran the ball only 11 times.
Houston's David Piland threw 51 passes, completing only 22, including four for touchdowns. He and Carden threw one interception each.
- HCSO: Sergeant killed by suspected drunk driver 58 min ago
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris Co.
- Houston demolishes dozens of nuisance buildings
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- House party ends with one dead, 3 others injured 28 min ago
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep 3 min ago
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos