Coogs come up short against East Carolina
GREENVILLE, NC -- Shane Carden threw for 305 yards and four touchdowns to lead East Carolina to a 48-28 victory over Houston on Saturday afternoon.
Vintavious Cooper rushed for 140 yards and a touchdown for the Pirates (6-4, 5-1 Conference USA), who posted their highest point total this season.
The victory makes East Carolina bowl-eligible for the sixth time in the past seven seasons.
Carden's 31 completions and 43 passes are both career highs. He has thrown 16 TD passes against seven interceptions this season. Danny Webster caught six of Carden's passes, three of them for TDs.
The Pirates outgained the Cougars (4-5, 3-2) 245 to 28 yards rushing, which contributed to their nearly 30-minute advantage in time of possession. Houston ran the ball only 11 times.
Houston's David Piland threw 51 passes, completing only 22, including four for touchdowns. He and Carden threw one interception each.
- Large funnel cloud touches down near OK City 2 min ago
- Man charged in death of mail carrier 24 min ago
- Suspect in wreck that killed sergeant goes to court
- Dreamliner returns to skies with flight from Houston 11 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders 1 min ago
- Man sought in dollar store robbery
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab theft
- Jodi Arias' attorneys ask to withdraw from case
- Houston Super Bowl committee makes pitch in Boston
- Grandmother killed, teen injured in head-on accident 14 min ago
- Photos: Billboard Music Awards from Las Vegas
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos