Houston closes Robertson Stadium with 40-17 win over Tulane
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The University of Houston Cougars and their fans said goodbye to Robertson Stadium on Saturday.
The football team played its final game at the stadium Saturday evening before the site is demolished.
The 70-year-old stadium has hosted high school, college and even NFL games as the Oilers got their start on the field.
Robertson was also the home of the Dynamo before the team moved to its own stadium this year.
In their final game, the Coogs defeated Tulane 40-17.
Ryan Jackson rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns, Crawford Jones threw for 368 yards and two more scores, and Houston closed 70-year-old Robertson Stadium in style in both teams' season finale.
Jones hooked up with Ronnie Williams for touchdowns of 22 and 9 yards in the first quarter, and Jackson scored on a 72-yard run in the third quarter and a 9-yarder in the fourth for the Cougars (5-7, 4-4 Conference USA). Matt Hogan added four field goals.
Ryan Griffin threw for 346 yards, including touchdowns to Xavier Rush and Wilson Van Hooser, for the Green Wave (2-10, 2-6), but also had four interceptions. Tulane had six turnovers in all.
Houston finished 72-44-1 all-time at Robertson. The Cougars will play their 2013 home games at a to-be-determined site before moving into a new stadium, to be built where Robertson is now, in 2014.
Fireworks erupted after the game, celebrating the Coogs' victory and marking the end of an era.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Suspect in wreck that killed sergeant goes to court 55 min ago
- Dreamliner returns to skies with flight from Houston 30 min ago
- ATM stolen in smash-and-grab theft 24 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms
- Man sought in dollar store robbery 26 min ago
- Houston Super Bowl committee makes pitch in Boston 38 min ago
- Justin Bieber gets booed at Billboard Music Awards
- One dies, another injured in head-on accident
- HISD security officer goes before judge today
- Photos: Billboard Music Awards from Las Vegas
- Photos: Gyro-eating contest at Greek Festival
- otrc: No 'Bridesmaids' sequel for Wiig
- abcnews: 5 security tips for Facebook mobile
- Video: Huge tornado caught on camera in Kansas
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos