Houston Texans fans can find more than football in MA
FOXBOROUGH, MA (KTRK) -- Plenty of Houston Texans fans are traveling to see the team in action this weekend, and they're just as excited, and come Sunday, they'll be packed into Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. We took a sneak peek to see what fans will find.
Twenty miles south of Boston is Foxborough, the home of the New England Patriots, where we took a one-on-one tour of the home of the enemy.
Gillette Stadium, built in 2000, seats more than 68,000 people. The AstroTurf field is viewed from Patriot Blue seats and two big screens light up each end of the field. The open air stadium makes for some cold games late in the season.
To New England fans, it's more than a place to cheer on the Patriots, it's an open air shopping and entertainment district.
"There's lots to do. There's something for children," said Patriots fan Martha Rose. "We are here to stroll around, have lunch together, shop for the Patriots fans in our lives."
Patriots Place, the shopping strip, was built in 2007, seven years after Gillette Stadium. More than a dozen shops outline the parking lot of Gillette, and when you're hungry, there are restaurants and pubs. Big box stores also share adjacent parking lots.
"We go to the CBS Sports Bar quite a bit," said Patriots fan Mark Allen. "They've got a Bass Pro Shop here. There's anything for everyone around here."
A Renaissance hotel allows fans and visitors to stay the night after a late game. A medical branch even overlooks the stadium, attracting patients from miles away.
"One of my friends was just here for one of her sons to have an operation," Rose said.
Patriots Place is now a destination spot that attracts fans from several states.
"You get a little bit of both worlds -- food, players and entertainment, so you can't go wrong," one fan said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston texans, sports, erik barajas
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Police chase emu down I-35 near Austin
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak