Clean sweep for Ethiopia at marathon, half marathon
HOUSTON -- Ethiopian runners withstood heavy rain Sunday to dominate the Houston Marathon and half marathon.
Bazu Worku and Merima Mohammed gave the nation a sweep of the men's and women's divisions of the marathon.
This was Worku's first marathon title. He finished in 2 hours, 10 minutes, 17 seconds and won by more than two minutes. Mohammed was timed in 2:23:37 on a day when temperatures were in the 40s.
"The weather was very bad, and we had troubles with puddles," Worku said through a translator. "I am very happy to have won."
Mohammed said through a translator her left leg gave her trouble.
"It was hurting badly while I was running," Mohammed said. "The weather was bad for me. I wanted to do (2 hours, 21 minutes), but I had to come down due to the weather."
Teferi Balcha finished second among the men in 2:12:50. Andrew Carlson was the top American, seventh in 2:17:16. Buzunesh Deba was the women's runner-up in 2:24:36. Tera Moody was the top American finisher at 2:39:10, finishing sixth.
In the men's half marathon, Ethiopia's Feyisa Lilesa successfully defended his half marathon title, winning in 1:01:54, beating countryman Deriba Merga by seven seconds. The women's winner was Ethiopia's Mamitu Daska in 1:09:53. She won the Houston Marathon in 2011.
chevron houston marathon, sports
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time? 12 min ago
- Thieves get away with $100,000 in loot
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 57 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown 58 min ago
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Doctor wants tougher laws on dog maulings 29 min ago
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake 7 min ago
- Texas AG sues to get Galveston Co. judge off bench
- Child at center of Amber Alert found safe
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations 58 min ago
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
43 min ago