Former UH coach Guy V. Lewis a Hall of Fame finalist
HOUSTON -- Gary Payton, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond are among 12 finalists for election into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
The announcement of the finalists kicked off All-Star Weekend in Houston.
Former Houston Cougars coach Guy Lewis has been chosen as a finalist for the first time since 2003. Current Louisville coach Rick Pitino and former UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian also are finalists for the 2013 class.
The others includes former NBA stars Maurice Cheeks, Spencer Haywood and Bernard King, longtime North Carolina women's coach Sylvia Hatchell and five-time WNBA All-Star Dawn Staley. Boston Celtics great Tom Heinsohn, already inducted as a player, is a finalist in the coaching category.
The 2013 class will be announced at the Final Four in April.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'