Singer botches 2 anthems before Astros-Blue Jays game
DENEDIN, FL -- A singer struck out in a big way at spring training, botching both the Canadian and U.S. national anthems before an exhibition game.
Jeff Fuller messed up the lyrics in "O Canada" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" before the Toronto Blue Jays hosted the Houston Astros on Wednesday.
Fuller's first attempt at the Canadian anthem went awry when he lost track of the words. With some fans booing and others cheering, the tenor started over again in the middle of the diamond, but forgot the words and stopped.
Several Toronto players laughed, including third baseman Brett Lawrie, who is a Canadian citizen.
Fuller then began "The Star-Spangled Banner" and mixed up the words. He kept going and finished.
The Blue Jays' mascot greeted Fuller as he left the field. Toronto manager John Gibbons shook Fuller's hand.
"Poor guy, nowhere to hide," Gibbons said. "I admire him for sticking out there and doing it."
Tweeted Lawrie: "Ahah how bout the guy singing the national anthems today ?? Ahah woee boyy."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston astros, toronto blue jays, sports
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 53 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 56 min ago