Dallas Madison tops Yates in 3A title game
AUSTIN, TX -- Derrick Smith's 27 points and 14 rebounds led Dallas Madison to a wild 85-72 win over Houston Yates to win the University Interscholastic League 3A boys' basketball title Saturday.
Madison led by just 68-63 with 3:33 left when the Trojans ripped off a 10-0 run. A 3-pointer and two free throws by Admon Gilder and Smith's layup and free throw keyed the rampage to put the game away.
Gilder had 19 points and Devonte Robinson added 15 for Madison (32-4), most on powerful dunks. Madison racked up 21 fast-break points and forced 24 turnovers.
Sadiq Inuwa's 22 points led Houston Yates (32-5), which played for the state championship last season in Class 4A after garnering 4A titles in 2009-10. Melvin Swift added 13 points for Yates, which also got 12 points from Joseph Anderson and 12 rebounds from J.C. Washington.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 41 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Big quake strikes off N. California, no tsunami threat
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida