Dallas Madison tops Yates in 3A title game
AUSTIN, TX -- Derrick Smith's 27 points and 14 rebounds led Dallas Madison to a wild 85-72 win over Houston Yates to win the University Interscholastic League 3A boys' basketball title Saturday.
Madison led by just 68-63 with 3:33 left when the Trojans ripped off a 10-0 run. A 3-pointer and two free throws by Admon Gilder and Smith's layup and free throw keyed the rampage to put the game away.
Gilder had 19 points and Devonte Robinson added 15 for Madison (32-4), most on powerful dunks. Madison racked up 21 fast-break points and forced 24 turnovers.
Sadiq Inuwa's 22 points led Houston Yates (32-5), which played for the state championship last season in Class 4A after garnering 4A titles in 2009-10. Melvin Swift added 13 points for Yates, which also got 12 points from Joseph Anderson and 12 rebounds from J.C. Washington.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Investigators want new probe of 1996 TWA crash
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Task force to look at Sugar Land red light cameras
- Don't they like the way he looks?
- Astros to announce signing of top pick Appel today 33 min ago
- Feds: Men tried to make X-ray weapon
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Country singer Slim Whitman dies at age 90
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos