Sporting KC defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1, advances to MLS Cup final
KANSAS CITY, KS -- Dom Dwyer scored in the 63rd minute, and Sporting Kansas City advanced to its first MLS Cup final since 2004 with a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night in the second leg of the Eastern Conference final.
C.J. Sapong also scored for Kansas City, which will play host to either Portland or Real Salt Lake on Dec. 7. Sporting and the Dynamo played to a scoreless draw two weeks ago in the first leg of the conference final.
Houston, the runner-up in 2011 and 2012, will miss the title game for the first time in three years.
The Dynamo went up 1-0 in the 3rd minute on a goal from Oscar Boniek Garcia, whose shot deflected off center back Matt Besler after a headed pass from Brad Davis.
Sapong responded in the 14th minute, scoring from short range after Houston defender Bobby Boswell misplayed Graham Zusi's through ball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston dynamo, mls, sports
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Fire engulfs northeast Houston home
- Obama imposes sanctions over Ukraine crisis
- Man to be tried as adult for deadly childhood attack
- Two arrested in deadly hit-and-run on FM 1960
- Woman asleep in Bieber's rented home arrested
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos