Sporting KC defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1, advances to MLS Cup final
KANSAS CITY, KS -- Dom Dwyer scored in the 63rd minute, and Sporting Kansas City advanced to its first MLS Cup final since 2004 with a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night in the second leg of the Eastern Conference final.
C.J. Sapong also scored for Kansas City, which will play host to either Portland or Real Salt Lake on Dec. 7. Sporting and the Dynamo played to a scoreless draw two weeks ago in the first leg of the conference final.
Houston, the runner-up in 2011 and 2012, will miss the title game for the first time in three years.
The Dynamo went up 1-0 in the 3rd minute on a goal from Oscar Boniek Garcia, whose shot deflected off center back Matt Besler after a headed pass from Brad Davis.
Sapong responded in the 14th minute, scoring from short range after Houston defender Bobby Boswell misplayed Graham Zusi's through ball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston dynamo, mls, sports
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1 4 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John... 58 min ago
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians