Sporting KC defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1, advances to MLS Cup final
KANSAS CITY, KS -- Dom Dwyer scored in the 63rd minute, and Sporting Kansas City advanced to its first MLS Cup final since 2004 with a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night in the second leg of the Eastern Conference final.
C.J. Sapong also scored for Kansas City, which will play host to either Portland or Real Salt Lake on Dec. 7. Sporting and the Dynamo played to a scoreless draw two weeks ago in the first leg of the conference final.
Houston, the runner-up in 2011 and 2012, will miss the title game for the first time in three years.
The Dynamo went up 1-0 in the 3rd minute on a goal from Oscar Boniek Garcia, whose shot deflected off center back Matt Besler after a headed pass from Brad Davis.
Sapong responded in the 14th minute, scoring from short range after Houston defender Bobby Boswell misplayed Graham Zusi's through ball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston dynamo, mls, sports
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born 35 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends!
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
57 min ago