Controversy re-igniting over allegations by former Rice athlete
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Sports Illustrated online article is re-igniting controversy over a former Rice basketball player currently helping Oregon make a Sweet 16 run.
Former Rice Owl Arsalan Kazemi, who is from Iran, last year filed a hardship waiver, claiming while at Rice, Athletic Director Rick Greenspan repeatedly made insulting and discriminating remarks to Kazeimi and two other Middle Eastern teammates.
Kazemi was allowed to transfer and compete this season with the Oregon Ducks, who find themselves in a Sweet 16 matchup.
The article alleging discrimination at Rice University has gained a lot of attention because Kazemi has become a key player for Oregon. Rice University still refuses to go on camera and referred us to its initial response from November of last year, adamantly denying the accusations.
- Do you know this fake cop rapist? 31 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink 44 min ago
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket 16 min ago
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion 27 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations