Sheriff: Ex-NASCAR driver Dick Trickle dead of apparent suicide at age 71
CONCORD, NC -- Authorities in North Carolina say former NASCAR driver Dick Trickle has died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 71.
The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office says authorities received a call believed to be from Trickle on Thursday saying that "there would be a dead body and it would be his." Authorities tried to call the number back, but no one answered.
The sheriff says Trickle's body was found near his pickup truck at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Boger City, N.C., about 40 miles northwest of Charlotte. Sheriff's Lieutenant Tim Johnson says foul play is not suspected.
Trickle was the Winston Cup series rookie of the year in 1989 but never won a Cup race. He won two Busch Series races.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH 1 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband wanted
- College student from Baytown fatally shot
- Kubiak era ends in Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Icy storm sends Houston workers to help North Texas 10 min ago
- Rice defeats Marshall in C-USA championship
- 4.5 magnitude earthquake rattles central Oklahoma
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Dog rescued from fire in Conroe
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Ice stalls sections of I-35 in North Texas 31 min ago
- US tourist and war vet, 85, free from NKorea
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Winter ice storm moves north
48 min ago
- Fighting cancer like the common cold
45 min ago