Pitcher Homer Bailey's 2nd no-hitter sends Reds over Giants 3-0
CINCINNATI, OH -- Homer Bailey has thrown his second no-hitter in 10 months and the first in the majors this season, pitching the Cincinnati Reds to a 3-0 victory over the slumping San Francisco Giants on Tuesday night.
Bailey (5-6) became the third Reds pitcher with more than one no-hitter, joining Jim Maloney and Johnny Vander Meer -- still the only big leaguer to toss two in a row. Bailey beat the Pirates 1-0 in Pittsburgh last Sept. 28 and got another 17 starts later.
The right-hander walked Gregor Blanco to lead off the seventh, the only Giants batter to reach base. First baseman Joey Votto threw out Blanco as he tried to reach third on a grounder.
With 27,509 fans on their feet chanting "Homer! Homer!" Bailey finished it off by getting Brandon Crawford on a high comebacker, striking out Tony Abreu and getting Blanco on a grounder to third.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 6 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 1 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 28 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 9 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 36 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born