Texans report for first day of training camp
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Houston Texans wrapped held two practices on Friday, the first day of training camp.
There was a little extra zip in their step. There always is on the first day of camp. Some of the veterans, like Ed Reed and Arian Foster, didn't do much. Both are listed on the physically unable to perform list.
All that means is they'll start practicing later in camp, Foster before Reed.
The workout was closed to the public, but a select group of fans were invited and they greeted JJ Watt with a loud cheer.
The overview is simple. Gary Kubiak liked a lot of what he saw Friday, and he's really intrigued by a group of rookies and young players who can help his team.
Top draft pick DeAndre Hopkins and second round pick DJ Swearinger top that list, but there are more.
And Brian Cushing's return to the practice field lifted everybody's spirits.
Back from last year's season-ending surgery on his knee, Cushing told us rehab was far tougher than practice. The All-Pro linebacker will work his way back to full speed and game action soon.
"Obviously, there's a plan in place," said Kubiak. "I think he worked about 25 minutes today. We'll keep heading that way."
So look for Cushing back in the lineup in the second preseason game against Miami or Game 3 against the Saints. That's great news for the Texans defense.
And we'll get you ready for the upcoming Texans season with our sports special, "Bulls on Fire." Sports director Greg Bailey and the rest of the Eyewitness Sports crew will get you fired up for the season.
The special is on ABC13 Sunday, August 4. It airs at 10:35p-m. Then, we'll have the Texan's first preseason game August 9.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns