Eyes of football world on College Station as 'Bama-A&M rematch approaches
COLLEGE STATION, TX (KTRK) -- It's an SEC showdown this weekend in College Station. Texas A&M is taking on No. 1-ranked Alabama. It's a match-up the players and fans have waited for since A&M knocked off the Tide last year.
Every week the ESPN Gameday crew sets up shop at the biggest games in the biggest venues in college football. But this week and this setting are special.
"One of the coolest scenes in college football, and knowing the history behind the 12th man and stuff, the midnight yell," said David Pollack with ESPN Gameday. "It's sweet."
"We're on a plane at 5:45 in the morning and I swear to you it's the only time at 5:45am that I was pumped up because everyone on the plane was talking about this game," said Samantha Ponder with ESPN.
It's not a stretch to say that everyone in football everyone recognizes the moment and the man who turned the nation's eyes toward Aggieland.
"I like covering Johnny just because he's a fun guy to watch," said Ponder. "He makes college football more entertaining and better for the fans."
This kind of attention for a Texas A&M game is unprecedented. Longtime SEC observers have a hard time believing what another A&M win over Alabama would mean.
"If A&M wins the game and Manziel stars, which I think he'd have to, it'd be one of the most extraordinary victories in college football history," said Paul Finebaum with ESPN.
CBS will broadcast Saturday's game. They rarely bring their pregame show on the road. But then Johnny Football changed all that.
"It's been 15 years. I think Craig James was in my seat then. That's how long it's been," said football analyst Spencer Tillman. "I think ultimately, it's this big rarely. And when it gets this big, you have to be there."
Greg Bailey is in College Station. Watch for his reports on Eyewitness News and get his Tweets @GregBailey13. And if you're in College Station for the game, we want to see your pics. Email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
sports, greg bailey
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death 7 min ago
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks 44 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date 27 min ago
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes